‘Tis the Season For Home Pest Invasions
With the Holidays upon us and many areas of the country already experiencing wintry weather conditions, pest-proofing may be the furthest thing from our minds. However, Bug Busters USA, a pest control company servicing the Southeast reminds homeowners that pests don’t take the Holidays off when it comes to invading homes. And although some pest problems dissipate when the temperature drops, Bug Busters warns that some infestations are greater during the winter months.
Many people incorrectly assume that pests are only an issue during the spring and summer seasons when some species of ants and stinging insects are at their peak.. However, rodents and other small wildlife like raccoons, squirrels and even snakes have been known to enter homes this time of year in search food, water and shelter from Old Man Winter.
Bug Busters USA recommends following these tips o help protect against pest problems this winter:
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the structure using caulk, steel wool or a combination of both.
- Replace loose mortar and weather stripping around the basement foundation and windows.
- Install door sweeps on exterior doors and repair damaged screens.
- Screen vents and openings to chimneys.
- Keep attics, basements and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry. Consider using a dehumidifier in these areas.
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly.
- Keep exterior doors shut at all times.
- Inspect items such as boxes of decorations and grocery bags before bringing them indoors.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and keep shrubbery trimmed and cut back from the house.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.