Keep mosquitoes and WNV away from your family!
May 21st, 2010
- Store wheelbarrows, tubs, buckets, barrels, and kiddy pools upside down so that water cannot accumulate in them.
- Do not leave saucers under flowerpots outside, or dump the saucers once a week.
- Dump rain barrels once a week, screen or cover them, or treat with larvicide.
- Change the water in birdbaths and small wading pools at least once a week. Aerate ornamental ponds, stock them with mosquito-eating fish, or treat with larvicide.
- If garbage cans are stored outside, make sure they have tight-fitting lids that do not hold pockets of water.
- Properly maintain swimming pools and ensure that swimming pool covers do not allow rainwater to collect on them.
- Ensure that water does not pool in boats stored outside or on their covers.
- Keep children’s toys inside.
- Make sure roof gutters drain properly.
- Clean clogged gutters in the spring and fall.
- Make sure your home and porch have tightfitting screens that keep mosquitoes out.
- Clean up trash along the roadway.
- Dispose of old tires properly and drill holes in tire swings so water can drain.
- Do not leave pet food out (discard if your pet does not eat it all right away to deter rats and other vermin) and change the water bowl daily.
- Fill in any low places in the yard if water stands there for several days Throw larvicide into retention/detention ponds and other small bodies of water that cannot be drained.
For more info visit http://health.state.ga.us/epi/vbd/download.asp
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.