Tips to Avoid Bedbugs this Holiday Season
December 28th, 2011
Increased travel this holiday season means that the bedbugs will be busy. Bedbugs are huge hitchhikers so check out these tips to avoid bedbugs while traveling to help protect you and your family:
- Thoroughly inspect the entire room with a flashlight before unpacking, including behind the headboard, under lights, and inside dressers, drawers, sofas and chairs.
- Pull back the sheets and inspect the mattress seams and box springs, particularly at the corners, for telltale stains, spots or shed bed bug skins.
- Place suitcase in a plastic trash bag during the duration of your trip to ensure that bed bugs cannot take up residence there prior to departure. *Tip: Pack clothes in zip lock bag for easy cleaning upon returning home.
- Do not place luggage on upholstered surfaces. The safest place is in the bathroom in the middle of a tile floor or on a luggage rack after it has been thoroughly inspected. Do not use a luggage rack if it has hollow legs, where bed bugs may hide unseen.
- If you notice bed bugs in your room, notify management and request to change rooms immediately.
- Do not move to a room adjacent and/or directly above/below the suspected infestation.
- When you return home, inspect your suitcases before bringing them into the house.
- Vacuum your suitcase thoroughly before bringing indoors and storing away.
- Wash all of your clothes – even those items you haven¹t worn – in hot water to remove any bed bugs or eggs that may have traveled home with you. Dry clean only clothes should be thrown in the dryer and run on high heat.
One Response to “Tips to Avoid Bedbugs this Holiday Season”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.