What can a consumer do to protect themselves from bedbug infestations?
To prevent bedbug infestations, consumers need to be vigilant in assessing their surroundings. When returning from a trip, check your luggage and clothing. If you think you may have a bed bug infestation, contact a pest control professional. This is not a pest that can be controlled with do-it-yourself measures.
Here are some steps that you and your family can take to help prevent a bed bug infestation:
- When possible replace wooden headboards and bed frames with metal ones. Although bed bugs can still hide and nest in metal, they are less likely to than wood.
- Keep the bed bug protective covers provided by Bug Busters USA on your mattress and box spring. New mattresses and box springs should immediately be covered as well.
- Always carefully inspect antiques and any second-hand furniture before bringing them into your home, even if they aren’t upholstered.
- Always wash and dry on high heat any second hand clothing or, when possible toys or other items before bringing them into your home.
- When travelling, inspect the mattress and box spring you will be sleeping on. In addition to looking for the actual bed bugs, look for small brownish or reddish dots on the bed linens and mattresses. This is why most hotels use white sheets, if the hotels sheets are dark in color, this could be a red flag.
- When travelling, do not put your luggage on the bed, this gives bed bugs a ride right into your. Use the metal luggage rack, which should also be kept away from not only the bed, but also the curtains, tables and wall hangings in the rooms. Don’t forget to inspect your luggage when you return from trips before you bring them back into your home.
- Have overnight guests to your home check/inspect their bags and luggage as well before placing them in their sleeping quarters.
- Vacuum at least once a week, pay special attention to areas around beds and furniture posts.
- Prevent bed bug harborage (hiding places) by keeping all areas free of excessive storage and clutter.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.