Unwelcomed Guests | Fly Control
The common house fly is never welcome by homeowners. Not only are they annoying, they can carry diseases such as cholera and typhoid fever, tuberculosis, salmonella, dysentery and more. Flies land on exposed food ingesting it and vomiting it up to break it down for digestion. Through this process they can easily pass diseases. .
There are some things that you can do to get rid of these pests.
- Get rid of their source. If you notice an unusually large number of flies buzzing through your home, find out where they are coming from such as outdoor compost piles, carcasses of wild animals, garbage, pet feces, etc.
- Put up screens on all your windows and doors, be sure to keep them closed and patched. If you do not want to invest a lot of money in window screens, buy inexpensive wire mesh at the hardware store and tack it in the window frames to control flies and other insects.
- Keep your house clean. Consistent and effective house cleaning important especially in the kitchen and bathroom. Close all indoor garbage cans and compost bins and empty them frequently. Avoid leaving leftovers or pet food uncovered.
- Plant herbs such as basil, mint, and rosemary as they are easy to grow indoors or out. These plants are pleasant-smelling to us humans, but not flies. The best herb of all for house fly control seems to be lavender. It is versatile and may also be used to relieve a number of physical and emotional woes and add flavor to your cooking.
- The fragrance of cinnamon and cloves may be pleasing to most people, but a fly would disagree.
- Flies have an innate tendency to head towards the light so darken you rooms. So if you’re sitting down for a quiet supper or conversation with friends, consider dimming your bulbs or using candles.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.