Earn up to $500 with TAP® Pest Control Insulation
Adding adequate insulation such as TAP® Pest Control Insulation is one of the most cost-effective home improvements that you can do. And now through December 31, 2016, you can cash in on the savings with a tax credit of 10% of the cost up to $500.
The Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act was signed at the conclusion of the 114th Congress on December 17, 2015. This law amends the Internal Revenue Code 25C allowing homeowners to take advantage of a tax credit up to 10% of the qualifying expenses of insulation installed prior to December 31, 2016 with a maximum lifetime credit of $500.00. Learn more: Federal Tax Credit – Insulation or view the source.
How much insulation do I need?
The U.S. Department of Energy has provided a wonderful map to help determine the recommended insulation levles (R-Values) for your home based on where you live.
How does a taxpaying homeowner take advantage of the tax credit?
- Can be combined with other utility rebates.
- Must be your main home of residence.
- Must meet International Energy Conservation Code (IECC).
- Save your receipts and the Manufacturer’s Certification Statement (see below) for your records.
- Submit form 5695 (see below) with your tax return.
- Tax credit does NOT include installation costs.
- Tax credit has a lifetime limit of $500 for qualifying credits taken since 2006.
- This credit relates to non-commercial energy property credit and is only available for existing homes.
NOTE: This information is offered for general discussion purposes only. Each individual’s tax situation is unique and will vary depending on many factors. You are strongly advised to contact your personal tax accountant to discuss your eligibility for any tax credit or deduction.
The tax credit is good through December 31, 2016. Claims must be made by April 15, 2017. To take advantage of this opportunity, download the forms below: