Blog

Child Battles for Her Life After Doctors Gave Her an IV Bottle Infected with Insects and Fungus

December 19th, 2016

Usually one goes to the hospital so they can get treatment to help them feel better from whatever ailment put them in the hospital. But, as many people know that is not always how things work. Doctors and hospitals themselves are not perfect, and there are numerous examples people actually getting sicker in the hospital because, well, they’re surrounded by more sick people. But, something is really wrong when the hospital staff failed to notice that an IV bottle has fungus and bugs in it. One little girl is fighting for her life right now because of this case of serious negligence on the part of the hospital.

Sai Prabalika was rushed to the hospital recently due to a fever that wouldn’t go down. However, instead of the doctors at the hospital healing her, they actually made her much much worse. Her parents noticed something wasn’t right when she began shivering and her body began to turn reddish after she was administered a new IV bottle one day while she was there. When she began gasping for air her parents called in the doctor. What they found was absolutely horrifying. The bottle of solution that they had recently administered, and which she’d already been administered half of its contents, had fungus growing on the inside of it and pieces of an insect. She had apparently had an allergic reaction to the foreign material in the bottle. I can’t imagine anyone reacting well to having insect parts and fungus pumped directly into their bloodstream.

The incident has caused an absolute uproar. Not only did the parents lodge a complaint with the police, but the NGO Helping Hand Foundation has now also lashed out at the hospital for its gross negligence, particularly the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. The State Commission for Protection of Child Rights (SCPCR) has also issued a notice to the Director of Medical Education, the Telangana Drug Control authorities, who are launching an investigation into the incident, and the hospital superintendent. And they all have a deadline of January 2, 2017 to come up with a good explanation. I’ve heard plenty of stories of insects being found in food products and restaurants, but this incident of an insect being found in an IV bottle is a new one for me.

Do you think there are more instances of insects ending up in places they shouldn’t be such as IV bottles than we realize? How common do you think it really is?

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

No Comments »

Categories

Archives

December 2016
SMTWTFS
« Nov Jan »
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031