A mother of a 21-month-old daughter was innocently letting her daughter have a few pieces of chocolate one day when she looked down and discovered that the chocolate buttons were covered in webbing of what looked to be a silk worm as well as the worm itself. After immediately removing the infested candy from her daughter’s grasp she sent the packet of chocolate to Cadbury to be analyzed. At first the company seemed to be sympathetic and created a customer number as soon as she contacted them, as well as sent her packaging to send the infested sweets them in. She also included a picture of the insect that she has taken. After a few weeks, however, the mother received a surprising letter from the chocolatiers. They claimed that what appeared to be webbing was actually fibers from the conveyor belt the candy came off of. Understandably upset, the mother has now informed the media and wants to make sure other mothers know the danger their children could face. Cadbury still denies the claims, and say that they’ve sent her a voucher “as a gesture of goodwill.”
Have you ever found dead bugs in your food? What did you do about it?